SOLD The Orleans Theatre and Orleans Ballroom
On Sunday, March 29, 1840, from the second foor balcony of the Orleans Ballroom, Jules Lion is shown taking a daguerrotype image of the old cathedral.
1796 – The first documented American opera performance was staged in New Orleans.
The Orleans Theatre was the most important New Orleans opera house in the early 1800s. The building was designed by Louis Tabary, a refugee from French Saint-Dominique. Construction began in 1806 and the Theatre d’Orleans opened in 1815. The theatre was destroyed soon after the opening, and was rebuilt along with the Orleans Ballroom, and reopened in 1819. The Salle d’Orleans (Orleans Ballroom) was designed by William Brand in 1817 for John Davis. Under the leadership of John Davis, from 1819 to 1837, the Theatre d’Orleans presented 140 operas. In 1827, John Davis began taking the company on tour to Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and Baltimore bringing national recognition to the Theatre d’Orleans. The Orleans Theatre was destroyed by fire in 1866. The Orleans Ballroom survived and became the Convent and School for the Sisters of the Holy Family. Today, the Orleans Ballroom is part of the Bourbon Orleans Hotel on Orleans Avenue in the French Quarter.
Orleans Theatre and Orleans Ballroom (SOLD)
Only one available. If interested in purchasing, please contact Jim Blanchard by email: