"He pursues his paintings with the mathematic exactness of the architect's rendering, and the visual elegance of an artist's brush."
- John Kemp, Louisiana Cultural Vistas
Jim Blanchard Gallery (above) is located on the grounds of Houmas House Estate and Gardens in Darrow, Louisiana. Located just to the rear of the mansion, behind Hampton Court and Fountain, through the high arched trellis, you will come upon the old cottage that now houses Jim's gallery.
... on the Cover of
Country Roads Magazine
In our Deep South Design issue, over and over again we see examples of old things being made new, old things being used to make new things, and an overall coalescence between the past and the future, taking place in the brilliant present. Jim Blanchard, profiled in this month's "Perspectives" column, is a master of such time warps, recreating the most iconic architectural achievements of our region in perfect, excruciating detail. The result of deep dive research and classical technique, our cover for this month is a proud example of his work. The circa 1859 Campbell Mansion, designed and built by New York architect Lewis E. Reynolds, was seized by federal troops during the Civil War, then transformed over the years into the luxurious residence of Judge Henry Spofford, then the Poydras Home, then the Mansion Apartments. It was demolished in 1965 to make way for a parking lot, but lives on in perfect detail in Campbell's rendering.
Perspectives: Jim Blanchard
At the crossroads of old-school technique and modern research, history rebuilds itself.
JULY 23, 2020
The Louisiana Jockey Club, by Jim Blanchard
The Luling mansion on Esplanade Avenue was designed by James Gallier, architect, for Florence Luling in 1865. The mansion was built in the Renaissance palazzo style on a thirty acre tract on the fashionable Esplanade Ave. in New Orleans. The Lulings, after the loss of their two sons, departed the mansion and moved to Europe. The estate was purchased by the Louisiana Jockey Club in 1871 and the mansion became host for many extravagant receptions, dinners, concerts and balls. In 1905, the property was sold and the estate was subdivided into lots for sale. The wings were demolished and the mansion became apartments.
More on the Campbell Mansion from Jim Blanchard
by Jim Blanchard, 2018
Corner of St. Charles Avenue and Julia Streets
Left: Carved Cypress Bracket from the Second Floor Gallery of the Campbell Mansion
Below: Piece of the Interior Door Trim from the Campbell Mansion
Both items are in the Collection of Jim Blanchard.
Photograph of the Campbell Mansion
by Theodore Lilienthal, 1867
See many of Jim's original paintings at the Great River Road Museum,
adjacent to Houmas House Estate and Gardens.
40100 Highway 942 (River Road)
Darrow, Louisiana 70725
10:00 AM - 4:00 PM