The carousel of images above show the artist, Jim Blanchard, and paintings that he is currently working on. Check back for the finished works of art, as they will be posted.
A few of Jim's completed works. . .
This drawing depicts Tezcuco in the mid 1800s, based on old photos, archival research, and family histories. The ruins were measured, and the proprerty was surveyed to determine the scale for this drawing.
Tezcuco Plantation Home
Tezcuco was built for Benjamin Tureaud in 1855. He was the grandson of Emanuel Bringier, and the son of Augustin Dominique Tureaud, both plantation owners. The plantation remained in the Tureaud family until 1950. Tezcuco burned in 2002, leaving only the beautiful gardens and towering chimneys among the ruins.
500 block of Canal Street -
The 500 Block of Canal Street is shown in the late 1800s. This is the uptown side of the 500 block of Canal Street. The Grey building to the left and the left half of the yellow building next to it are all that remains of these buildings. These two buildings are being restored and transformed into the Sazerac House Museum. The remainder of the block was demolished and today is the site of the Sheraton Hotel on Canal Street. (Stay tuned for updates.)
This measured drawing depicts the St. Charles Hotel in 1851, and is based on original archived plans, documents, historical engravings, and one surviving photograph of the hotel. This drawing depicts the St. Charles Hotel on the day of its destruction by fire.
St. Charles Hotel - "The Exchange Hotel"
The first St. Charles Hotel was designed by Gallier and Dakin in 1835. The building contract was awarded to James Gallier in 1835, and construction began. Most of the wood and granite were shipped from the north. Guests began registering in February of 1837, and the hotel was fully completed in May of 1838, at a cost of $600,000. The St. Charles Hotel was the largest and most opulent hotel in America. The building was 235' on St. Charles Avenue, with a depth of 203'. The magnificent cast iron dome rose 185' over the city. In January of 1851, the hotel burned, and was completely destroyed. By March of 1851, the second St. Charles Hotel was under construction on the site.