Jim Blanchard Gallery
now open by appointment only ...
216 Chetimatches St.
or text Jim @ 504.220.2564
Jim Blanchard Gallery is now in Donaldsonville, Louisiana. Jim's studio, gallery and residence is now open, by appointment only, in the old residence at 216 Chetimatches Street, near the Old Courthouse in Donaldsonville.
"He pursues his paintings with the mathematic exactness of the architect's rendering, and the visual elegance of an artist's brush."
- John Kemp, Louisiana Cultural Vistas
500 block of Canal Street, New Orleans, Louisiana
The 500 Block of Canal Street is shown in the late 1800s. This is the uptown side of the 500 block of Canal Street. The Grey building to the left and the left half of the yellow building next to it are all that remains of these buildings. These two buildings are being restored and transformed into the Sazerac House Museum. The remainder of the block was demolished and today is the site of the Sheraton Hotel on Canal Street.
Florence Luling Mansion, Esplanade Ave., New Orleans
The Luling mansion on Esplanade Avenue was designed by James Gallier, architect, for Florence Luling in 1865. The mansion was built in the Renaissance palazzo style on a thirty acre tract on the fashionable Esplanade Ave. in New Orleans. The Lulings, after the loss of their two sons, departed the mansion and moved to Europe. The estate was purchased by the Louisiana Jockey Club in 1871 and the mansion became host for many extravagant receptions, dinners, concerts and balls. In 1905, the property was sold and the estate was subdivided into lots for sale. The wings were demolished and the mansion became apartments.
Lafourche Parish Courthouse, Thibodaux, Louisiana
$12,000 (measures 59" w x 28" h unframed)
The Lafourche Parish Courthouse was designed by Howard and Diettel, architects, in 1859. The building was constructed in 1859-60 on land donated by Henry Schuyler Thibodaux, the founder of the Town. The 1818 and 1846 courthouses had previously occupied the site. The original front colonnade faced Bayou Lafourche, and the Lafourche Parish Jail, located in the lot behind the courthouse, was also designed by Henry Howard, architect, and built in 1859. The courthouse was remodeled and enlarged in the Breaux-Arts architectural style in 1903, by Favrot and Livaudais, New Orleans architect, and again enlarged in 1958, by Fernand T. Picou, architect, removing the original colonnade façade and replacing it with a large wing. The Green Street Façade became the new front entrance.
Bocage Plantation, River Road $12,000 (measures 39" w x 25" h, unframed)
Bocage, a wedding gift from Marius Pons Bringier to his eldest daughter, Francoise “Fanny” Bringier, the fourteen year old bride of Christophe Colomb, upon their wedding in 1801. The original house was destroyed by fire and the present Bocage was built in 1837. The mansion is attributed to James Dakin, architect.
Jim Blanchard’s latest print “The Lemann Building" commemorates the renovations of this historic Donaldsonville building. Signed print measures 28”w x 20”h, and is available for sale on the website SHOP for $42 (includes shipping) The Louisiana Statehouse Print is also available.
St. Joseph Church, Thibodaux
ARCHITECTURAL ARCHIVAL ARTIST
New Orleans Buildings and Residences
300 Years of New Orleans Architecture
A Book of Pictures ~ with a little history ~
dedicated to all who turn these pages
in anticipation, and with wonderment
of what once was, and still is... New Orleans
A hardcover book, measuring 10 ½” height by
12 ½” width, with over 230 (full color) pages containing over 200 of Jim Blanchard’s Watercolor Drawings of historic buildings and residences of New Orleans, with other illustrations and history.
Priced @ $37, Includes Shipping to anywhere in the Continental United States.