The building was originally designed as the Municipal Hall to house the government of the New Orleans Second Municipal District. Dakin, Bell & Dakin presented the original designs for the building in 1837. The Greek Revival New Orleans City Hall was redesigned by James Gallier, Sr., architect, and Robert Seaton, builder, began construction in 1845, with a projected cost of $120,000. The building was finished and dedicated on May 10th, 1853 at a price of $342,000. The building served as the New Orleans City Hall from 1851 thru 1957, at which time the City Hall building was renamed Gallier Hall.
top of page
bottom of page