The building was designed in 1815 by Henry S. Latrobe for the Charity Hospital of New Orleans.
It occupied the entire block on the upper side of Canal Street between Baronne and University
Place. In 1834, Charity Hospital moved to a new location on Common Street (now Airline Hwy.)
and the building was remodeled and enlarged to be used as the Louisiana Statehouse. The
building served as the Statehouse from 1835 thru 1849. The property was then sold and the
building demolished in 1850.
top of page
bottom of page