In 1847, the church was redesigned by J.N.B. dePouilly, architect. John Patrick Kirwan was contracted on March 12, 1849 “for the restorati on of the Cathedral of St. Louis”. Constructi on began in 1849 and on Feb. 19th, 1850 the uncompleted central tower collapsed onto the church. In 1851, Alexander H. Sampson completed constructi on of the cathedral at a total cost of $139,238. The new St. Louis Cathedral was dedicated by Archbishop Blanc on December 7, 1851. In 1859, the open air iron and wood center spire was enclosed with slate. The new clock was made by Stanislas Fournier, a French clockmaker who had moved to New Orleans, using parts from the old Delachaux clock. The cathedral stands today, only slightly altered from the original designs of the 1850s. On December 9, 1964 St. Louis Cathedral was elevated to the status of a Minor Basilica by Pope Paul VI. Basilica of St. Louis, King of France

St. Louis Cathedral

$34.00Price