St. Mary’s Assumption Church In 1844, Fr. Joseph Kundek, a diocesan priest, constructed a frame church on Jo - sephine Street, named St. Mary’s Assump - tion. This church was the first Catholic Church erected for the Germans in Loui - siana. The cornerstone was laid in 1858 for the construction of the large German Baroque Revival structure, attributed to Albert Diettel, architect. The church was dedicated in 1860.
top of page
bottom of page