Steamboat Edward J. Gay, Captain J. J. Brown
The Edward J. Gay side-wheel steamboat was completed at the Cincinnati Marine Railway Co. in July of 1878 and was towed south to New Orleans by the J. M. White. The boat was designed to run the New Orleans to Bayou Sara trade route with Captain J. J. Brown. Her machinery came from the Governor Allen steamboat and her bell from the Brilliant of 1850. The boat was 251 feet in length x 41 feet width. In 1884 the Edward J. Gay was operated by Captain S. S. Streck and was managed by Captain T. P. Leathers. The boat burned at the First Street wharf in New Orleans on July 30th, 1888.
top of page
bottom of page