. White Hall, “La Maison Blanche” Plantation
White Hall was built for Marius Bringier in the 1780s. In 1825, Wade Hampton purchased the mansion and began a major remodel to transform the mansion into a colonial revival columned home for his wife, Mary Cantey Hampton. In 1829, he sold the home and then moved the craftspeople and workers to Houmas to enlarge the home there as he did to White Hall. The mansion burned in the 1850s. Nothing remains of the once stately estate.
| || |
The year 1798 brought royalty. The Duc d'Orleans, later to become Louis Philippe, King of the French, arrived with his brothers, the Duc de Montpensier and the Comte de Beaujolais. After visits in and around New Orleans, the exiled trio was taken to White Hall. Cannons boomed; slaves raced to the house with the news that the vessel had been sighted. The family lined up for review with fellow planters, field and house servants, and an Indian chief, shod in beaver skin moccasins, wearing a mantle of the inner bark of an ash tree. A friendly ruler of the Houmas tribe, he was there to pay his respects to the fellow-leaders, even though the latter might be without followers at the moment. The princes did not omit a return call to the chief in his village. The visitors found Louisiana plantation life more princely than anything they had ever known: great halls, silks, laces and food--lucious snipe, delicate shrimp, enormous fish with flavor as rare as the host's wines. Old Louisiana Plantation Homes – and Family Trees